Mechanisms and Rate Laws-Advanced
This page will provide exercises in relating reaction mechanisms to the appropriate rate laws. These questions are more complex than the first mechanisms page and it is recommended that you work on that page first. When you click "New Problem", a large window will open. In that window, which you may have to relocate, you will find an overall reaction, the reaction mechanism and a generic rate law for inputting your answer. The presentation has the following format:
- The system is completely homogenous, so all species shown have variable concentrations.
- All processes preceeding the rds are rapidly attained equilibria.
- The observed rate law will only contain species identified as reagents in the overall reaction.
- To submit the answer, use the select boxes after each species to enter the orders.
- It is recommended that you use the "Check Rate Law" button before submittng your answer. This will open a small window with your proposed rate law in it.
- When you are satisfied with your rate law, press the "Submit" button. Results appear on the main window.