The Special Quadratic
This page deals with the "special quadratic" which has been discussed in chemistry 108.
If you're not involved with that course, you may still find this page a useful exercise, but
you'll need to get some extra instructions. For the 108 students, this page mirrors the
approach taken in class. When you click "New Problem", a screen will appear which has the
quadratic expression described in class. Address the problem as it has been discussed in class.
Scoring is maintained on the main page, in a slightly different format than on other
- First, calculate and submit the value of x produced by the approximation. Then press,"Check Approx".
The results appear on the main screen. If you get it correct, proceed, otherwise, recalculate
- Once the approx. value is correct, determine whether the approx is a valid answer and
click on either "Yes" or "No" accordingly. Again, if you get it incorrect, you must resubmit before
you can proceed.
- You only do the third stage if:
If those conditions are met, then calculate the exact answer and submit it.
- You have gotten the first two parts correct and
- The approximation is invalid